KMail 1.9.9 freezes

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jun 2 21:34:37 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 02 June 2009, Hermann Himmelbauer wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a weird probleme here: On My SuSE 11 distribution, I use KMail
> 1.9.9 (KDE 3.5.9) with kolab 2.2.2. When I start kmail outside of
> kontact, it freezes. If I then kill it, kontact opens, whereas KMail
> is running perfectly inside.
>
> If I start Kontact directly, KMail also works - any clue why?

I guess the reason is the following:
You start KMail; KMail tries to access the address book which is
residing on the Kolab server; for this the service
DCOP/ResourceBackend/IMAP is required (because the Kolab server is
accessed via the IMAP protocol); this service is provided by KMail and
by Kontact (through the embedded KMail); KDE decides to start Kontact;
since KMail is already running Kontact hangs on startup -> classical
dead lock

If you now kill KMail then Kontact resumes the startup which explains
why Kontact opens.

The only solution for this problem is the removal of the file
kontactdcop.desktop (which announces that Kontact provides the above
mentioned service) from the system wide KDE installation. This should
be /opt/kde3/share/applications/kde/kontactdcop.desktop on openSUSE.
Obviously, this will affect all users of the system.

Regards,
Ingo