Use a different Host to store Imap Data on

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jul 23 17:13:38 CEST 2009

Am Mittwoch, 22. Juli 2009 23:04:27 schrieb Alexander Schröter:
> a little bit about my situation. I currently use a Kolab Server and my ISPs
> Mailserver. Since my ISPs Mailserver has a nearly 100% Uptime, a lot of
> Storage Space and Automated Backup. I want to use it as storage space for
> the kolab's imap data.
>
> The problem is that I only have access to my ISPs Server via Imap. So my
> question is:
>
> Is it possible to tell kolab/cyrus to store the mail not on the local
> machine but on my ISPs Imap account.

I haven't heard about such a feature in cyrus imapd.
Cyrus imapd usually wants to store stuff in a (posix compatible, full blown)
filesystem.  You could try to go crazy in trying to map that filesystem
via the net somehow for backup purposes, but this does not sound like a good
idea. Cyrus really uses the filesystem and thus even does not like network
filesystem for this reason.

I might be easier to just rent server space and run Kolab Server there
to get the benefits of uptime and backup service.

> I saw that it's possible to introduce a new partition to cyrus in the
> imapd.conf and than tell the process to use this as new storage location
> for certain users via "renamemailbox user.foobar.mail user.foobar.mail
> newpartition".

Sounds like a feature to use another file system partition, which would not
help you  further along.