Horde open mailbox on slave server instead of master one

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Thu Jul 9 10:42:37 CEST 2009

Hi Antonio,

Quoting Antonio Straziota <devgioiatech at gmail.com>:

> Hi all,
> as suggested from Alain i open a new thread.
> I resume what explained in the old thread:
>
> I need a pubblic webmail to acces mailbox on master server. In the
> past a Master/Slave solution was suggested as best way to obtain this.
>
> I've two kolab installation (kolab 2.2.0 on Centos5.2)
>
> As the subject explains, I can't login from slave webmail client on a
> mailbox that resides on the master server.
> From admin interface, users location is correct and login goes fine.
>
> To troubleshoot the problem i activate telemetry logging on master
> server. When i log in by horde on master i see telemetry log with imap
> command and response.
> When i try to log in by slave horde, instead, i can't see anything on
> master server. I see these logs only if i activate telemetry also on
> slave server, with permission problem on IMAP folder creation.
>
> So, i deduce that slave horde doesn't try to access mailbox on master,
> but on slave itself. Infact if i convert mailbox.db to skiplist, on
> slave one, i can't login in horde
> I try to stop both imapd and openldap on slave server because I think
> this should not affect access on mailboxes hosted on master but when i
> try to log in, horde reject authentication due a wrong username and
> password.
>
> Finally, looking at wiki, i find a new solution at
> http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kolab2_Installation_-_Horde#Apache_on_an_external_web_server_2.
> In parallel, I'm trying also this solution.

Don't try that as it is outdated. It might work but the slave/master
solution is definitely preferred as you get the configuration
automatically.

I admit I did not test the slave/master solution myself yet but I am
pretty certain that Horde is capable of automatically detecting the
users home server. I use that functionality myself.

Are the users kolabHomeServer entries on the slave server correct?

Cheers,

Gunnar