merge two accounts ... maybe with imapsync

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Jul 6 08:37:18 CEST 2009

Quoting Alexander Schröter <webmaster at computational-chemistry.org>:

> Hello I have to solutions to my problem in my head maybe someone knows a 3rd
> or how to make one of the two happen.
>
> Is there a way to sync 2 imap accounts with each other. I would say like a
> merge.
>
> Why? Because I want my mails to remain at my ISP ... there I have backup and
> compared to my kolab-server a way better uptime.
>
> To use the full advantages of my kolab server I thought it would be nice to
> have all the mails on the kolab server too.

> I now use imapsync to sync my ISPimap to my Kolabimap. Problem is that this
> setup only works in a Source-Target direction where I would like a merge
> aproach. To rearrange mails on the kolab server and have them that way on the
> ISPserver too.
>
> I hope this makes somewhat sense to someone.
> Maybe you guys have an idea how accomplish this.

This sounds too complicated to run it for a longer time.

> I also have another Idea to solve my problem. Would it be possible to not use
> a local mailbox on the kolab server but to connect to a remote one
> (myISP). So
> that everything (maybe just the mails and not the contacts, dates,
> tasks etc.)
> I do is synced with my ISPs Server.
>
> This would as far as I understand fix all the sync problems.

I would prefer this solution and most clients should easily support
this. If you use Kontact it should be no problem at all.

Which client do you use?

Cheers,

Gunnar

> Thank you very much.
> I really enjoy the functionality of kolab :)
>
> Regards Alexander Schröter

Tel.   : +49 700 6245 0000                         Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 721 1513 52322                        D-20146 Hamburg