Accessing Horde outside home network

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Thu Jan 29 17:14:27 CET 2009

Quoting Michael Harnden <mike at rochestervball.com>:

> I recently migrated from an openSUSE 10.1 installation running
> natively to a OpenPKG installation (v
> 2.2) on Debian Etch. I use Kolab/Horde as a home email server. Works
> great for my wife and I who
> both travel a lot. The migration went smoothly using my backups. My
> problem lies in accessing Horde
> from outside of my home network.
>
> With my openSUSE installation I could use dyndns.org to access my
> installation. With the Debian
> server, once I log in, I am redirected to using my home servers fqdn
> (home-server.site). Can I
> correct this on my new installation without creating a huge security hole?

You should be able to correct this without any security problems. I
assume that your server does not know that it is accessible via the
dyndns.org fqdn. You can set the server name for horde in
/kolab/var/kolab/www/horde/config/conf.php.

The relevant line is:

$conf['server']['name'] = $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'];

You should be able to hard-code the server fqdn here. In general it is
better though if the whole DNS setup is correct and your server is
able to correctly identify itself. You might also edit /etc/hosts for
that.

Cheers,

Gunnar