Kolab Mail archiving - software, methods, experiences?

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 12:46:58 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Christian Rößler <Roessler at fuh-e.de> wrote:
> Hallo everyone,
>
> I am in need for mail archiving, that means that every incoming and
> outgoing mail has to be archived somewhere.
>
> Now I am a bit overwhelmed with all the possibilities, and so I want to
> ask the list in which ways this has already been solved, which software
> (if so) is being used, and so on.
>
> Several possibilities spring to my mind:
>
> - postfix (main.cf) always_bcc=archiv at kolab.lokal.tld. Funny, but not
> unexpected (as each mail goes three times through postfix, if I am not
> mistaken) is that each mail goes threefold to the archive / gets
> tripled. Does anyone know an easy way around that?

Instead of adding alway_bcc option in your main.cf, add it to your
master.cf  using a "-o always_bcc=archiv at kolab.lokal.tld" syntax.
Your 2 entry points should be :

@@@bind_addr@@@:smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd

and

@@@bind_addr@@@:465       inet  n       -       n       -       -
 smtpd -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes

Just update these 2 lines

I dont know about other archiving method.

Regards.

> - has anyone integrated Octant Opensources OMA Open Mail Archive
> <http://octant.org> into Kolab, and if so, which are the experiences?
>
> - or perhaps Inovox-Mailarchivierungssoftware,
> <http://www.inovox.de/email-archivierung>,
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/emailarchiving/>? Experiences?
>
> - Or perhaps another way? Another software, proxy or more simple
> solution? In short, how is this solved elsewhere?
>
> Best regards,
> Christian

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com