Kolab Mail archiving - software, methods, experiences?

Tobias Oed tobias.oed at octant.org
Fri Jan 23 09:16:25 CET 2009

Christian Rößler wrote:
> Hallo everyone,
>
> I am in need for mail archiving, that means that every incoming and
> outgoing mail has to be archived somewhere.

Be aware of the privacy rights of your users! Not sure how legislation
goes where you're at but this is something you need to consider.
At a minimum, they must be fully informed.

> Now I am a bit overwhelmed with all the possibilities, and so I want to
> ask the list in which ways this has already been solved, which software
> (if so) is being used, and so on.
>
> Several possibilities spring to my mind:
>
> - postfix (main.cf) always_bcc=archiv at kolab.lokal.tld. Funny, but not
> unexpected (as each mail goes three times through postfix, if I am not
> mistaken) is that each mail goes threefold to the archive / gets
> tripled. Does anyone know an easy way around that?

put the always_bcc in master.cf as an option to the last postfix smtpd
in the chain
   -o always_bcc = archiver...
You're in for a nightmare though - I have a customer who does that and
it's hell.

> - has anyone integrated Octant Opensources OMA Open Mail Archive
> <http://octant.org> into Kolab, and if so, which are the experiences?

It works. The kolab modifications are minimal, even more so since the
archiving is done by a postfix content filter. There is a plugin to
authenticate users against the kolab ldap. If you need help, we (octant)
can help  :)

> - or perhaps Inovox-Mailarchivierungssoftware,
> <http://www.inovox.de/email-archivierung>,
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/emailarchiving/>? Experiences?

I didn't know about this project, looks interesting especially their
import facilities.

> - Or perhaps another way? Another software, proxy or more simple
> solution? In short, how is this solved elsewhere?

Here it's obviously oma  :)

> Best regards,
> Christian

Regards
Tobias Oed
ps: Apologies for sending this privately yesturday Christian.

-- *Tobias Oed* - Octant Informatique <http://www.octant-fr.com>
tobias.oed at octant.org <mailto:tobias.oed at octant.org> - 04 76 50 82 38
*La Région Rhône Alpes soutient Octant dans le cadre de son projet
innovant... L'ERP OpenSource.*