multiple kolab installation question :(

Ingo Steuwer steuwer at univention.de
Fri Jan 23 08:37:29 CET 2009

Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 22. Januar 2009 schrieb Antonio Straziota:
> hi all,
>
> i've multiple sites interconnected through a VPN and i have an
> internet entry point only in site1
>
> i've multiple kolab installation on site1 site2 site3 site4
>
> on site1 i've Kolab Master, and two kolab slave
>
> i want to one of this slave as webclient only for internet use for ALL
> slave of that master.
>
> For example:
>
> MASTER is KOLAB-MASTER.demo.tst (on site1)
>
> slave for webmail is webmail.demo.tst (on site1)
>
> slave severs are: kolab.site1.demo.tst kolab.site2.demo.tst
> kolab.site3.demo.tst kolab.site4.demo.tst
>
> mail domains are: site1.demo.tst site2.demo.tst site3.demo.tst
> site4.demo.tst
>
> can i access all mailbox for all slave server through webmail server?

Horde should be able to connect to the users kolabHomeServer instead of
localhost. I'm not sure how Horde is preconfigured in native kolab
installations, but it is able to do that in general.

One drawback in your constellation are shared folders, which are shared on one
server only. A user on server A can't share stuff with a user on server B.
This can be avoided with "cyrus murder", a kind of cluster-enhancement for
cyrus. It is a bit tricky in setup and certainly will need patches against
kolabd.

> Then, i need to setting up each slave with samba integration
> (http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kolab_2.2_and_Samba_on_Ubuntu_Hardy)
> so every openLDAP structure must be indipendent from each other . Is
> it possible?

Mhm, what are your goals? Centralized user management (Kolab) or decentralized
user management (indipendet samba sites)?

Samba in combination with OpenLADP can be configured to use a local LDAP
replicate for read access (authentication etc.) but a central master instance
for write access (i.e. password changes). And even in such a scenario each
site can have it's own samba PDC -- but you need to make sure that clients
and servers can "see" only one samba PDC in broadcasts or netbios requests.

Regards
Ingo

--
Ingo Steuwer