backup for kolab

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Thu Feb 26 09:06:18 CET 2009

On Wednesday 25 February 2009 16:31:28 Antonio Straziota wrote:
> i need to have a hot backup for kolab.
> looking to http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Backups_for_kolab2 is very
> simple, but it requires to stopp kolab service.
> is there a way to backup all kolab data without stop-start kolab?

In my experience, there is no need to stop any service. We've been pulling
backups from the live imap spool for three years now without stopping cyrus
(we actually ran into problems with starting/stopping way back then). The
worst that can happen is that a few mails will not get backed up as they
appeared or disappeared after rsync has made its file list. Those mails will
get picked up in the next round. We're running four incremental snapshots per
day that way and up until now it seems to work perfectly fine.

Hence, it really depends on what you need to accomplish: If you have a *lot*
of mail coming in at any given time and if you need your backups to be 100%
accurate all the time, you might have to think about other ways. If you can
live with the scenario I described above, you get away with not stopping
cyrus.

Cheerio,

Thomas