question about unixhierarchysep and shared folders

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Feb 17 09:26:12 CET 2009

Am Montag, 16. Februar 2009 18:01:30 schrieb Alar Sing:
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > On Sonntag, 15. Februar 2009, Alar Sing wrote:
> >

> >> I have question why shared folders are "shared."
> >>

> > Note that I prefer to speak about "account folders".
> > Our recommendation is to not use them.
> > Use a group account instead.
> >

> How group account works? Are them simalar to shared folders,

In the sense that you can give rights to their folders that other users
subsequently can see.

> where I can set folder type on webadmin?

You cannot, but the resonsible person can do so with their client
(which is more comfortable anyway). As a machine administrator, you can do
this with cyradm or some script to set the ACLs and annotations.

> And why is shared not recommended?

There is very little gain in using this namespace, but a number of possible
pitfalls you can fall in. Also the webadmin was never ment to be a full IMAP
folder handling application. Clients might deal with them differently than
the "user" namespace. Technically they work, so you could use them.