Kolab RPM updates - possible?

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com
Fri Dec 11 21:36:46 CET 2009

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the update of a self-compiled Kolab installation on Ubuntu 8.04/64 bit.

On my "production" box, I have kolab 2.2.0 running.  I tried to upgrade to 2.2.2 *and* to fix the issue from <https://issues.kolab.org/issue2982> in one step, but that failed with strange build errors (see <https://issues.kolab.org/msg22799>).  I could
roll back the failed attempt from the backup, but I am looking into a less intrusive way (i.e. period needing to shut down Kolab) for the update.

Therefore, I used the same approach to build 2.2.2 on an other machine with *exactly* the same hardware and the same Ubuntu release (just a slightly different self-compiled Kernel), which was successful (I manually tweaked 00INDEX.rdf so the packages
fixed for #2982 were picked up).

Now that I have a set of RPM's on box #2, is it possible to simply install/update them through openpkg, i.e. something like
- shut down Kolab on the production box
- move away /kolab/RPM/PKG on the production box
- copy /kolab/RPM/PKG from the second box to /kolab/RPM/PKG on the production box
- lauch a "magic" OpenPKG rpm (?) command to do the upgrade - which one?
- do any tweaks to kolab, as required by the Upgrade guide
- start again

Is that possible?

BTW, I noticed that there are a number of similar RPM's on 2.2.0 and 2.2.2.  Is it true that they didn't change?  But I think I have to force the re-install of some (see <https://issues.kolab.org/msg21806>) - is that safe?

Thanks in advance,
Albrecht.