Kontact on Ubuntu/Karmic blows up Kolab calendar

Del delonly at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 21:42:28 CET 2009

For what it is worth I am using Kontact with Karmic and Kolab 2.2.2 daily
(been doing it since 2.2.0 when I moved to Kolab). Kolab runs on a 32-bit
Debian Lenny system (used to have it on Etch). Nothing is blowing up here
(never had data-loss or corruption with Kontact+Kolab). Even though I like
playing with fire and have all ppa's related to KDE open (which means I get all
snapshots, betas and rc's as soon as the kubuntu-team compile them). The speed
of bug-fixes generally in KDE is really amazing, you are actually hard-pressed
to report a bug before it is fixed (so don't flood the poor guys with bug-
reports, I see them continue marking bugs as duplicates months after a fix is
released).

Why are you running 2.2.0 by the way? I believe I remember there was a report
on missing calendar entries on this list some time back, so you can try
searching to see if there is some skeleton in the closet.

On the general side. If you are looking for a rock stable KDE, stay with the
LTS editions of Ubuntu, or move to Debian stable, OpenSuse or Mandriva. I can
also recommend Suse and Red Hat if you want support. I also don't see any
reason to stay with an old version of Kolab. If you want smooth and hassle-
free installations, upgrades and back-ups, I warmly recommend a support
contract with the Kolab Konsortium. It is money well spent.

Cheers,
Del