Q: automatically create a mail folder when a new user is created?

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com
Thu Dec 3 10:21:36 CET 2009

Hi Gunnar:

Gunnar Wrobel schrieb:
>   - Modify the kolabd daemon to create the folder once the user gets created.
>     Takes a line or two of perl code - I did this for a customer recently, too.

Thanks for that hint - it does work just fine!

> A general comment:
>
> As far as I understood it the general rule of thumb with IMAP is: The
> clients create the folder. Automatically creating folders is probably
> not good practice. I did never really look into that issue so I'm just
> saying this was the impression I had. The user chooses his client and
> the client ensures that the IMAP storage fits the needs of the client.

I completely agree that it should be up to the user to create folders!  The point is that not all clients (e.g. Horde) take care of creating all folders properly.  I am just playing around with the cool customisation stuff of Horde (the /kolab/etc/kolab/templates/webclient-* files), and added an automatically created spam rule.  However, this one only works properly if there is actually a Junk folder...

> Of course many admins have the wish to provide some sane defaults that
> help their users with spam handling or other tasks. A better solution
> might be clients that handle this setup.

This is *exactly* the point.  It would be great if there was a folder-type property like "junk.default" which all clients and plug-ins (Bynari/Konsec/Toltec) respect.  Then such a folder could be auto-created, and whatever name the client chooses (Lookout takes "Junk-E-Mail", iirc there are others (Thunderbird?) which choose "Junk") it will be recognised.

Thanks again,
Albrecht.