Q: automatically create a mail folder when a new user is created?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Thu Dec 3 09:25:05 CET 2009

Quoting Albrecht Dreß <albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> the subject says it all - is it possible (maybe through a hook?) to
> *automatically* create a folder when a user is created?  E.g. it
> would be nice if automatically a "Junk" mail folder could be created.

I see several options:

  - Try to use the cyrus autocreate patches. This probably means patching the
    cyrus though - I did not check if the OpenPKG package we use
already has them
    or not.

  - Modify the kolabd daemon to create the folder once the user gets created.
    Takes a line or two of perl code - I did this for a customer recently, too.

  - Open a "wish" issue in the tracker. One could add code to kolabd
to make such
    things configurable.

A general comment:

As far as I understood it the general rule of thumb with IMAP is: The
clients create the folder. Automatically creating folders is probably
not good practice. I did never really look into that issue so I'm just
saying this was the impression I had. The user chooses his client and
the client ensures that the IMAP storage fits the needs of the client.

Of course many admins have the wish to provide some sane defaults that
help their users with spam handling or other tasks. A better solution
might be clients that handle this setup.

Cheers,

Gunnar