More Kontact/Win questions [was: Kontact/Win Beta: 2 questions...]

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Apr 27 12:27:20 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 22 April 2009, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
> (1) Mass roll-out
> Is there a concept/tool for a mass roll-out of kolab, setting more
> preferences, maybe as a "defaults list" for kolabwizard?

As concepts we currently have kolabwizard and KDE Kiosk,
having more ways for the KDE Kolab Client on Windows would be nice.

> I today went
> through all config options, and it actually took some time to get
> everything right.  If the application is used within a bigger
> organisation, it would be great if some standard settings (e.g.
> signature template, message templates, LDAP setup for the Kolab address
> book, etc. etc.) could simply be automatically assigned during the
> installation.  I think of setting up a demo account, and then simply
> passing that config (probably stored in a file below .kde?) to
> kolabwizard which extracts the non-personal stuff - something like the
> nice new templates feature of Kolab 2.2.1 in Horde.
>
> (2) Store mailboxes in a different location
> This would be easy on Linux with a symlink, but I don't think it will
> work on Windows - is it possible to have the local mail store on a
> different folder/drive than "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\...", e.g.
> "D:\Mail-Archiv"?  Or am I just too dumb to find that option?

Setting KDEHOME should work, but this would change the while .kde position.
Hmm, maybe you could file a wish for this one.

> (3) LDAP offline store
> I set up an extra LDAP address book pointing to the Kolab OpenLDAP
> server.  In the advanced LDAP settings, I can select an option (radio
> button) to use an off-line cache in LDAP is unavailable, but this
> setting apparently isn't stored.  How is it supposed to work?

Looks like a defect, please file an issue.
(Note that the LDAP-Resource is not a top priority function of a Kolab-Client
currently.)

> (4) toltec.dat attachments
> This is somewhat off-topic - the messages stored by Outlook/Toltec all
> have a big toltec.dat tnef attachment.  Is there a tool to either
> remove it completely or to extract any meaningful data from them?

I don't think that there is a tool, but it should be fairly easy to write a
tool to throw the additional binary attachments away.

> Maybe the latter would be better, as e.g. for encrypted messages,
> Outlook/Toltec creates a crap message, but the tnef /seems/ to contain
> the real data.

The binary blobs possibly contain extra data that Outlook uses, but the core
of the information must be in the Kolab-XML as well, otherwise the client
is violating the specs and is not compatible with Kolab anymore.

Bernhard

Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, Osnabrück, DE; AG Osnabrück, HRB 18998