Kontact/Win: problem accessing a shared folder with deep tree and long folder names

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com
Thu Apr 23 15:19:10 CEST 2009

Am 23.04.2009 15:03:00 schrieb(en) Torsten Krah:
> Read the Filename Article at wikipedia.
>
> Thats a known windows kernel restriction - nothing KDE special about
> it.

Hmm, MAX_PATH (as defined somewhere in mingw) is 260 which is longer
than 252, but probably not enough if ".directory" is appended.  Sorry,
I forgot that...

> I would say the solution is -> don't use a path which is that long -
> if you already got one, reorganize your stuff if you need windows
> access.

No, that's not a solution.  The folder names work with Outlook/Toltec
on Win, so users will not accept that they have to change the way they
work because Outlook is replaced by a superior software!

Probably the solution would be some kind of "flattened" tree on Win32,
with an extra look-up table translating the real (deep) IMAP paths
into, say, a MD5 hash which is then used as folder name.  In my special
case, it would already help if the ".directory" extension is shortened
to, say, '.#d', saving 42 (sic!) chars.  A more general bullet-proof
solution would be better, though.

Cheers, Albrecht.

--
Dr. Albrecht Dreß