kolab along side Exchange

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Sun Apr 19 19:04:10 CEST 2009

Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Quoting Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com>:
>
>> Gunnar Wrobel wrote:

>>> As you can configure the URL for the free/busy view in most clients it
>>> should not be a problem. This would be a different thing if you somehow
>>> need to share calendar information between the two systems. But it does
>>> not sound as if this is what you want.
>>
>> Actually, that is what we want, sorry for the lack of clarity.
>
> I don't see how that could be possible. You have one set of users with
> their calenders on Exchange and another set of user with their calendars
> on Kolab. If you now wish to synchronize the actual calendar data
> between both systems you would need to have all users defined on both
> systems.
>
> But to be honest I still don't quite believe you really want to sync the
> calendar data between both systems. I still have the impression it is
> just about accessing the free/busy data.

I guess I'm getting stuck on the verbiage.  The bottom line is, yes, we
want the folks on the Kolab server to be able to view the busy/free
schedules of those folks on the Exchange server and the people on the
Exchange server to be able to see the busy/free schedule of the folks on
the Kolab server.

>> We want the Outlook users who are connected to the Exchange server to be
>> able to see the Thunderbird users connected to Kolab.  As well as the
>> reverse.
>
> I don't know how Thunderbird or Outlook generate the free/busy URL they
> use for a user. The default will probably be to look up the user on the
> server the user doing the lookup resides. But I assume that you could
> have an address book with alternative URLs for each user which would
> override the default. Or am I wrong?

I really don't have any idea.  I know little about Exchange and Kolab.
My thought process is that I look at my calendar and try to create a
meeting the includes a set group of folks.  Somehow I can see whether
the folks I want to include in the meeting are free or busy, regardless
of which server they reside.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin