Blackberry, Horde, Thunderbird, Outlook co-existence

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Sun Apr 19 07:32:18 CEST 2009

Quoting Tom Malone <tmalone at lancer-ins.com>:

> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
>> On Tuesday 07 April 2009, Tom Malone wrote:
>>> The main problems we have with the current setup are the two Inbox
>>> folders in Horde and Thunderbird
>>
>> What exactely are the issues?
>> Note that with IMAP email can come in from almost any folder.
>> So having a folder called "Inbox" should be fine (in addition to the top
>> folder which could be displayed differently). We probably will
>> change Horde to
>> behave in this respect.
>>
> The issue is that Outlook with the Toltec connector would like mail to
> be deposited into the user INBOX folder.  It would then like to POP the
> mail out of that folder and sync it back to another folder INBOX/Inbox.
>
> In Outlook the user only has one Inbox where all mail is delivered.
> However, when the user then switches over to Horde the reality of the
> server is revealed.  The user will see two folders named Inbox.
>
> One Inbox has their mail from Outlook and the other Inbox has new mail
> that they have not seen.  This is VERY confusing to the user.
>
> In order to provide a view that is similar to Outlook the two Inbox
> folders would need to be combined in Horde.

I know that this issue has been pointed out before.

 From a programmers viewpoint it does not make that much sense to fix
the web client for this specific pecularity of the Toltec connecter.
Then again we are of course interested in making the different clients
work well together. And I consider it likely that people use both the
web client and a local client. It may be less likely that somebody
uses Toltec and Kontact at the same time. But once people are abroad
(or maybe just at home) the web client might get used.

So if you have some suggestions on how we might resolve the situation
in Horde in a sensible manner you should open an issue and post them
there. "sensible" might not be that easy though. The problem is that
this would be a Kolab specific patch I probably can never integrate
upstream. Carrying around such patches from version to version is not
trivial.

Cheers,

Gunnar