Server fqdn change

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Oct 7 10:02:45 CEST 2008

Quoting "Andrew J. Kopciuch" <akopciuch at bddf.ca>:

>> I guess the old domain should be kept. Renaming all the users does not
>> make too much sense as that also affects the data stored in IMAP. Its
>> easier to solve that by using aliases.
>>

> Not to mention the breakage of the mail itself.  The mail spool is stored on
> disk under the domain.  That would have to be moved, and I have no idea about
> the side-effects of that.
>
> You already mentioned the ACLs stored in IMAP, which would also be broken.
> There's also the sieve and freebusy information that would need to be moved,
> and I'm also not sure about any data changes required there.
>
> To throw another wrench in the mix, imagine multiple slaves?
>
> There are several pieces that are tied to the FQDN, both in LDAP,
> and on disk.
> It's not a trivial thing to change the FQDN.
>
> Aliases could instantly provide a new email address, but the UID would still
> remain under the previous domain (if you just used the default UID ... which
> I assume most people would).
>
> I realize I am not providing much help here, but my brain is flying in all
> directions thinking about what a FQDN change would require.  Large
> installations would be a massive amount of work.
>
> We all seem to be making points in theory.  I am wondering if there is anyone
> out there who has actually done this before?   They might provide some
> insights.
>
> The only client of mine to go through a domain change, was moving
> co-locations, and rebuilding servers all at the same time, so we just built a
> new server under the new domain, and created aliases for the old domain if
> needed.  So we avoided doing this sort of thing in place.

You definitely added some very valid points and I think the simple
conclusion is that a script at this point would be way too much effort
for the rather small gain.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> :S
>

> Andy

Tel.   : +49 700 6245 0000                         Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 721 1513 52322                        D-20146 Hamburg