[Outlook] shared calendars & reminders

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com
Wed Nov 19 11:28:05 CET 2008

Hi,

I have an installation in which most users use Outlook w/ Toltec.  We
have several shared read-only calendar folders, which people simply
"invite" as to publish appointments as information.

I noticed that if the appointment contains a reminder setting, users
running Outlook 2007 seem to get reminders from appointments in the
shared folders even if they are not participants.  If they try to
cancel the reminder, Outlook/Toltec apparently tries to modify the
appointment, which fails as the calendar is read-only, resulting in
more nagging about messages which cannot be stored in the IMAP folder.
Older Outlook versions apparently do not show this strange "reminder".

Is this a known issue/feature?  As the reminders/errors are annoying,
it would be nice to have a workaround.  Do you know if (and how?)
Outlook 2007 can be instructed /not/ to display reminders from certain
calendars?

An other option (involving some hacking) might be to have an option
which makes calendars "silent", and to instruct the Kolab filter script
to remove the reminder function (this is the <alarm> XML tag, right?)
from calendar objects before they get inserted into the respective
folders.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Albrecht.