[Kolab-devel] Running Kolab2/OpenPKG-2.2 on Amazon EC2 (was: Kolab in the clouds)

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Nov 17 21:24:33 CET 2008

Quoting Alain Spineux <aspineux at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> wrote:
>> Quoting Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de>:

>>> Yes, will do that once I have a 2.2 image. I'll write down some
>>> instructions on how to use the images then.
>>
>> I generated a Kolab2/OpenPKG-2.2 server image which is available with the ID
>> "ami-c910f4a0".
>
> Hi Gunnar
>
> Could you give us an idea of the cost of the use :
> - for example for the installation of kolab2.2
> - for its use, say create 2 users and send some emails in between.

Traffic is cheap, the computing power is not very cheap. 10 cents per hour.

If you would consider having a machine running 24/7 on AWS it would be
expensive. But as I mentioned before I wouldn't recommend running a
mail server there. It has some other uses though.

The reason why I constructed the images was that it is extremely
helpful when handling user requests. If a user comes with a question
or a bug report on Kolab Server 2.1 it does not help too much if my
only answer is: "Hm, sorry I am currently developing on the Kolab
server, only have CVS installed and don't see the problem you are
describing."

With AWS it takes me five minutes to choose any of the older Kolab
server versions and check the problem there. And I turn the machine
off an hour later. So the costs for that are negligible.

In addition AWS is nice for upgrade testing when developing.

I made the images public since I believe they might be helpful for
others, too. If somebody wants to test the Kolab server it takes only
a few minutes to get the system up and running so that you can test
features.

Maybe it is also helpful for the native ports to see how the Kolab
server works on OpenPKG.

Cheers,

Gunnar