How to deal with workstation status mails?

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Tue May 27 09:21:27 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I ran into a little snag with our Kolab set-up here - I can't figure out how
to "properly" deal with status mails that are sent automatically from our
workstations. What I want is to let e.g. cron (or some cron-run scripts) send
mail to the administrator to get feedback on the working (or not working...)
of things like updates etc. Right now, our Kolab server is set up to accept
only authenticated connections, hence, the "ordinary" way of sending these
automated mails fails with "Relaying denied".

I *can* set up the MTA (exim) on the workstations to use authentication, but
that raises another problem: If I choose to authenticate as user A, I cannot
send mails as user B. Most of the scripts will try to send mail
as "root@". "root@", however, is a distribution list, so I cannot simply
add "root@" as a delegate to the account I use to authenticate with. Ideally,

So far, I see two options:
- Remove the default "root@" distribution list and add an internal account
for "root@" instead. Set this account to forward all mail to the admin
account. Either use the "root@" mailaccount directly to authenticate or
add "root@" as a delegate to the account I'm using to authenticate.

- Allow relaying for our own network. This, however, would allow anyone to
ignore the whole "delegates" idea by simply sending mail directly - which is
not what I want.

My question is thus: How do other people deal with this type of situation?
And also: Is there something like a "master account", i.e. an account that is
allowed to send mail as anyone after being authenticated, despite everybody
else having to adhere to the delegate system?

Thanks for any input!

Cheerio,

Thomas