OpenLDAP and libnss conflict

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Wed May 21 21:07:31 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 7:54 PM, Neil Joseph Schelly <
neil.schelly at oasis-open.org> wrote:

I just understood slapd was segfaulting at startup !
You never spoke about statup before !
This would have helped a bit !

I thing that when slapd start, it call a function related to NSS and
regarding
the configuration in nsswitch.conf try to get the answer from LDAP that is
not
yet started !

Maybe slapd need to know uid of kolab, kolab-s, kolab-r users and groups to
start !
Then you must configure your NSS to look first into your existing passwd and
group file,
or something like that.

On Wednesday 21 May 2008 13:24, Alain Spineux wrote:
> > > The kolab one segfaults.  The Debian one isn't installed.  But libldap
> is
> > > part of a base install.
>

> > The base install ? the debian one ?
>
> Yes.  apt depends on debian-archive-keyring, which depends on gnupg, which
> depends on libldap2, which includes libldap_r.so.
>
> > > If you enable LDAP logins to a system (with NSS), then
> > > that library
> >
> > which library ?
>
> libpam-ldap and libnss-ldap.
>
> > > is used to start all processes, since those processes need an
> > > identity (user/group rights).  Then as soon as slapd (the Kolab one)
> > > loads a symbol
>

> > What do you mean by load a symbol ?
>
> The functions provided by a library.
>
> > You mean make a call to a function dynamically loaded ?
>
> A function like ldap_bind() in libldap_r.  It is part of the

ldap_bind() is part of the LDAP api and should not be used by slapd
and don't event exist in slapd. Then slapd could not "load" this "symbol"
Why do you thing ldap_bind or any other functions part of the LDAP api
is used by slapd

--
Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com