OpenLDAP and libnss conflict

Neil Joseph Schelly neil.schelly at oasis-open.org
Wed May 21 18:38:51 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 21 May 2008 12:29, Alain Spineux wrote:
> Which slapd segfault ? The openpkg or the debian one ? Are you trying
> to run both at the same time ?

The kolab one segfaults.  The Debian one isn't installed.  But libldap is part
of a base install.  If you enable LDAP logins to a system (with NSS), then
that library is used to start all processes, since those processes need an
identity (user/group rights).  Then as soon as slapd (the Kolab one) loads a
symbol for an ldap function, the executable in memory has two of every ldap
function. It's the the statically compiled-in kolab ones and it's got the
Debian ones that were used to load the process in the first place.

> When you make some ldap queries, the client should load the libraries
> it want (probably the debian one)
> and not disturb the openpkg sldapd process

LDAP clients never come into play here.  The slapd process cannot start as a
result of this.  I agree that LDAP clients installed outside the /kolab tree
would not be susceptible to this though as they load dynamic libraries.

> I thing the problem is somewhere else than in a library problem.
> Except if you have installed installed or upgraded some debian package
> after kolab install ?

There were no install/upgrades afterword.  It works fine until I enable LDAP
logins to the system.  I can disable ldap in NSS and it works fine again.
strace outputs show that the process crashes as soon as it tries to run any
ldap functions which are essentially loaded from both the system libraries
and the slapd binary at the same time.

Perhaps the better question I should be asking is why doesn't the openpkg
installation use dynamically-loaded libraries?  I'll bet this can be solved
very easily if it did.  Is there an easy option for that or would I have to
modify the entire install script setup by hand to accomplish it?

Neil Schelly
Senior Systems Administrator

W: 978-667-5115 x213
M: 508-410-4776

OASIS http://www.oasis-open.org
"Advancing open standards for the information society"