Backup/restore process

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Tue May 20 02:20:31 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:15 PM, Paul Douglas Franklin <pdf at yugm.org> wrote:

> Alain Spineux wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 12:19 AM, Paul Douglas Franklin
> <kolab at paulfranklin.org> wrote:
>

> I tried the backup/restore process again.  I ran into two problems:
> 1)  When it runs the line:
> su - kolab-r -c "/kolab/bin/ctnl_mboxlist -u" <
> /oldserver/backup/imapd/mailboxlist.txt
> it returns the result:
> fatal error: can't read mailboxes file.
>

> check the owner and rights on files in /kolab/var/imap directory
>

> I will.  I had previously checked the owner and rights on
> /oldserver......mailboxlist.txt.
>
> 2) An update on the same problem I had last week:
>
> Paul Douglas Franklin wrote:
>

> When I ran
>
> rm -rf /kolab/var/openldap/openldap-data/*
> /kolab/sbin/slapadd -l backup/ldap/kolab-ldap.ldif
>
> it gave me the following:
>
> Warning:  no DB_CONFIG file found in directory:  /kolab/var/openldap.
>

> I found the problem with DB_CONFIG.  It has been erased by
>
> rm -rf /kolab/var/openldap/openldap-data/*
>
> Now I would like to know what does and what does not need to be erased.
> * is too much, but what is enough?
>

> When I run slapcat to do a backup, I also take a copy of DB_CONBIG file
> BUT also a copy of slapd.conf and slapd.access because these
> two files _could_ be corrupted by kolabd. And these files need to
> exist to be regenerated by kolabd (the problem of the  chicken or the egg )
>
> I made some changes to the wiki
>

> Thank you.  I'll add that.  I see you didn't add the backup of slabd.conf
> and slapd.access.  Do I understand that it is probably not necessary but
> might be needed as backup?

I dont understant your question! Did you read last version of the wiki ?

> Finally, I occurs to me that I may be going about this the wrong way.
> My intention is to upgrade without subjecting my working Kolab box to
> the danger of my fumble fingers.  Would it be better to install the same
> version on the new drive, transfer the data in, and then upgrade?
>

> I don't thing so. The move of the data will stay the same.
> You didn't say at first you wanted to upgrade.
> Don't forget to read the 1st.README files for upgrade insructions.
> And try to mix these instructions in the restore procedure. (usualy
> they are nothing special to do)
>

> Looking at those instructions, I see nothing that would need to be mixed in
> if I do a brand new install and then restore data to it.  Most seem to have
> to do with removing leftovers.  I do know I would need to look at my config
> templates and manually update as needed.
>

> And I wonder:  Once Kolab has been installed and I want to restore data
> from the former installation, is there a reason not simply to copy the
> entire /kolab directory from the former installation to the new
> location, instead of doing it piecemeal?
>

> It depend ! Is it a hardware, an OS, or a kolab upgrade ?
>

> Currently I'm trying to keep the same hardware, upgrade from Ubuntu 7.04 to
> 8.04, and upgrade Kolab 2.1.0 to 2.2.  Since you say that my basic plan does
> not need to include restoring to the same level of Kolab first, it doesn't
> matter in this case.
> If I were just restoring and not upgrading, how would your answer change?

Some data could be hardware dependent: little Indian vs big Indian
processor, 32 vs 64 bit.
Kolab binaries are dynamically linked to some of the OS libraries, at
least the libc
And finally some kolab DB are dependaend of the Berkley DB version and
need to be
upgraded when chnaging BDB version.
Everything mater !

--