Is Kolab for me

Paul Douglas Franklin pdf at yugm.org
Mon May 19 19:10:53 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 6:13 PM, Duffields <dhltd at telus.net> wrote:

> 2. Can someone with almost no knowledge about server applications to set up
> and maintain Kolab?

I have done so.  I really don't know what it is doing behind the scenes,
although I have tweaked Spamassassin.  My boss wanted Windows Server
2003, and like a good employee, I installed it (we got it at highly
reduced price).  After trying to configure it for a while, and getting
nowhere, I disconnected that hard drive and installed Kolab on the other
hard drive.  That way if anyone asked, I could say that that computer
had Windows Server 2003 installed on it.  Kolab was a breeze.  I have
finally wiped the WS2003 drive for another use.

> According to a Kolab website, documentation for Kolab 2
> is only available in German and  though my daughter studied it,I do not know
> German myself.

The documentation in question is in German, but there's lots in English
on the wiki.  In fact, the Germans on this list are very gracious to do
their communication in English for those of us who are handicapped,
except when they forget what language they are typing.  (I'm an American
who is fluent in English, can read some French, and know enough German
to use Sie rather than du with people I don't know well.)

> Any advice would be appreciated.

Go for it.
I have done quite well with Ubuntu Server.  No need to install any of
their pre-programmed packages.  Let's see . . . when I installed Kolab,
it did need me to add a couple of programs.  I think there were two that
it told me in clear language.  For the third I had to do some searching
of the kolab wiki to find the answer.  If you need me to, I can look in
my history to see what I needed to add.
Both Linux and Kolab being free makes testing easy.

> Thanks
> Mac

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com