Kolab install failure on gcc

Ryan Jacobson rejacobson at gmail.com
Thu May 15 18:56:24 CEST 2008

Hello,

As per the subject line, I'm having trouble completing an install of Kolab
2.1.0

I've had to tweak a few things to get it halfway installed, but it's now
failing when attempting to build gcc.  I've found a potential fix that I'd
like to try which involves modifying the gcc.spec file and adding
--disable-multilib to the configure options (source:
http://www.eforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=487).

In order to try this I've unpacked the gcc.*.src.rpm package, modded the
.spec file, and now I have to repack it into a src.rpm so I can re-add it to
the Kolab install packages.  The problem I'm having is re-packing the
src.rpm.  When I run "rpmbuild -bs gcc.spec" it doesn't recognize certain
tags, such as CORE and %options, and refuses to create the src.rpm.

Does anyone know how the Kolab rpms are packaged so I can duplicate it?  Or
does anyone know if there's some way I can force rpmbuild to build the
src.rpm anyway, despite it not recognizing those tags?  Or is there any
other way around this problem? Perhaps I'm taking a very roundabout way of
doing this.

Here's some extra info about the install, with notes:

===========
The Server
===========
Fedora Core release 6 (Zod)
Linux 2.6.20-1.2962.fc6 x86_64

======================================
gcc-4.0.2: config.log (relevant lines)
======================================
configure:1921: checking whether the C compiler (cc -fPIC ) works
configure:1937: cc -o conftest -fPIC   conftest.c  1>&5
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/libgcc_s.so: file not recognized:
File format not recognized
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:

#line 1932 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}
--------------------------------------
NOTES:
This file
 /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/libgcc_s.so
links to
 /lib64/libgcc_s.so.1
which then links to
 /lib64/libgcc_s-4.1.2-20070626.so.1
--------------------------------------

gcc-4.0.2: configure script (relevant lines from above)
echo $ac_n "checking whether the C compiler ($CC $CFLAGS $LDFLAGS)
works""... $ac_c" 1>&6
echo "configure:1921: checking whether the C compiler ($CC $CFLAGS $LDFLAGS)
works" >&5

ac_ext=c
# CFLAGS is not in ac_cpp because -g, -O, etc. are not valid cpp options.
ac_cpp='$CPP $CPPFLAGS'
ac_compile='${CC-cc} -c $CFLAGS $CPPFLAGS conftest.$ac_ext 1>&5'
ac_link='${CC-cc} -o conftest${ac_exeext} $CFLAGS $CPPFLAGS $LDFLAGS
conftest.$ac_ext $LIBS 1>&5'
cross_compiling=$ac_cv_prog_cc_cross

cat > conftest.$ac_ext << EOF

#line 1932 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}
EOF
if { (eval echo configure:1937: \"$ac_link\") 1>&5; (eval $ac_link) 2>&5; }
&& test -s conftest${ac_exeext}; then
  ac_cv_prog_cc_works=yes
  # If we can't run a trivial program, we are probably using a cross
compiler.
  if (./conftest; exit) 2>/dev/null; then
    ac_cv_prog_cc_cross=no
  else
    ac_cv_prog_cc_cross=yes
  fi
else
  echo "configure: failed program was:" >&5
  cat conftest.$ac_ext >&5
  ac_cv_prog_cc_works=no
fi
rm -fr conftest*
NOTES:
It seems to be failing on one of the tests in the if block after it creates
the "conftest" file.
My shell scripting experience is limited but here's what I think the tests
are doing:

1) The first test outputs logging info.
2) The second test compiles the just created conftest.c file into an
executable.
3) The third test checks that the executable exists.

(I've no idea what the 1>&5 or 2>&5 do)

I've run those steps manually and it works fine so I don't see why it should
be failing here.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated and please let me know if more
info from my end is needed.

Thanks!

Ryan Jacobson