[kolab-users] Re: delegation feature in debian etch

Adam Katz adam at khopis.com
Sat Mar 1 01:10:23 CET 2008

Paul Douglas Franklin wrote:
> Horde runs on a separate system?  I have not tried to add Horde to my
> setup yet because I fear messing with my live server until the package
> is stable.  But if I could run Horde on another box, I'd be interested.
> Is this doable?

Horde's support for SSL is complete crap, and it simply didn't support
the odd authentication options in kolab.  Kolab also doesn't seem to
use LDAPS (LDAP with SSL on port 636), so I had some trouble getting
this to work securely across the internet.  I ended up using an SSH
tunnel with a dummy user and installing it as a service running with
autossh.  The tunnel port-forwards all the non-SSL ports needed, so
the horde server has access to everything as if it were local.  Just
be consistent in port numbers (I simply added a high number to the
real number; 50025 for SMTP, 50143 for IMAP, etc), as you'll have to
enter them in a dozen or so places in the Horde config.  You'll also
have to examine every drop-down box in setup for a kolab option.
Don't forget to add the admin accounts (e.g. manager and
you at domain.com) to the authentication section's "treat as
administrators" box.

I couldn't get turba2 working on my Debian Etch box, but everything
else is pretty smooth.  ... note, some dependencies aren't listed in
Debian, so there's some simple guesswork involved.  (I regret not
having taken notes.)