iCal parser error causes mail to bounce

Nik777 kolab at babel.homelinux.net
Wed Jun 4 09:09:58 CEST 2008

Hi All,

I'm trying to test the use of kolab in conjunction with my
thunderbird/lightening clients when exchanging calendar events.

I'm running kolab 2.0.4 I believe, on a 2.6.15 kernel.

I've managed to receive one calendar event from an outside party (who
uses Outlook) which was parsed by kolab, and was readable in Thunderbird.

Now I'm trying to send a calendar event from lightening/thunderbird to a
test account within kolab, but with no success. in resmgr.log, I can see
the kolabmailboxfilter process starting and recognising the iCal, then
nothing more - not even resmgr completion.

So I sent a test calendar event to my GMail account where it was
received, and then forwarded that message and its lightening/thunderbird
"calendar.ics" file back to my kolab account.

My GMail account received the following bounce message:

>                        The Postfix program
>
> <XYZ at kolab.internal>: Command died with status 255: "/kolab/bin/php".
>    Command output: PHP Parse error:  parse error, unexpected T_ELSE in
>    /usr/local/kolab/var/kolab/php
> /kolabfilter/resmgr.php on line 199
>
> <ABC at kolab.internal>: Command died with status 255: "/kolab/bin/php".
> Command
>    output: PHP Parse error:  parse error, unexpected T_ELSE in
>    /usr/local/kolab/var/kolab/php/kolabfilter/resmgr.php on line 199
>
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; XYZ at kolab.internal
> Action: failed
> Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; Command died with status 255:
> "/kolab/bin/php".
>    Command output: PHP Parse error:  parse error, unexpected T_ELSE in
>    /usr/local/kolab/var/kolab/php/kolabfilter/resmgr.php on line 199
>
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; ABC at kolab.internal
> Action: failed
> Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; Command died with status 255:
> "/kolab/bin/php".
>    Command output: PHP Parse error:  parse error, unexpected T_ELSE in
>    /usr/local/kolab/var/kolab/php/kolabfilter/resmgr.php on line 199

Is there any way I can stop an error in processing a contained iCal from
bouncing the email?
I really need *all* emails to be delivered.

I understand that from one point of view, the fact that kolab could not
parse the iCal could be seen as a form of delivery error, but from my
view this behaviour is actually an erroneous failure to deliver a
correctly addressed email.

BTW: I am no expert on VCALENDAR, but I have to say the calendar.ics
contents from thunderbird/lightening look totally bizarre! I can find no
T_ELSE, but there appear to be multiple dates in multiple years in there
- and all this for a single 1-hour event.

Note: for anyone who might be wondering, I've temporarily worked around
my previous error with resmgr failing to decrypt the user password, by
hard-coding a password in resmgr.php. However, the password decryption
error is still there, and would still be causing even more emails to be
undeliverable.

Just to be clear: I really need all emails to valid addresses to be
delivered. Failures in handling a contained iCal should not stop the
email from being delivered.

Cheers!
Nik