Can't receive mail after upgrading from 2.2rc2 to 2.2 release: Even more information

Saim Kim s.kim at hia.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Jul 18 17:47:45 CEST 2008

Thomas Arendsen Hein schrieb:
> * Saim Kim <s.kim at hia.rwth-aachen.de> [20080717 18:18]:
>
>> so after some more checking I'm quite sure that clamav is the reason for
>> the mail error. Even it is started with the /kolab/bin/openpkg rc all
>> start, if I check the status it is still not active:
>>
>> mykolab:/kolab/var/clamav# /kolab/bin/openpkg rc clamav start
>>
>> OpenPKG: start: clamav.
>>
>> mykolab:/kolab/var/clamav# /kolab/bin/openpkg rc clamav status
>>
>> OpenPKG: status: clamav.
>> clamav_enable="yes"
>> clamav_usable="unknown"
>> clamav_active="no"
>>
>> So, how can I make clamav start?
>>

> Or rather: why does your correct way of starting clamav fail?
>
> There is /kolab/var/clamav/clamd.log or your could try manually
> executing /kolab/bin/clamscan
>
> You might want to try manually updating the virus database:
> # su - kolab-r
> $ freshclam
>

>> P.s.: Sorry for writing so many mails today...
>>

> With this and my other two mails you might be able to get a working
> system again, but there is something wrong on your machine or
> installation which causes all this.
>
> If this should be used for production I strongly recommend to get
> professional support from the Kolab Konsortium (which Intevation is
> part of) or at least help from another person or company with some
> experience in troubleshooting mail server installations.
>
> See http://www.kolab-konsortium.de/
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

Ok,

even more research closed it pretty much in to clamav failing to launch
as described earlier. I have several assumptions: At the first download
of the files from one of the mirrors (I don't remember which one) the
MD5Check failed for a couple of package. Of course, I can't remember
them BUT I'm quite sure one of them was clamav. So, I downloaded them
from another mirror checked it and it passed the MD5Check. After,
recompiling the clamav rpm package from source on my machine it still
doesn't work after a complete fresh kolab installation. Is it by any
means possible that a couple of corrupted rpm packages made it onto the
mirrors? Even kolab server 2.2 rc3 has the same error.

And it seems that I'm not the only one: there is an issue on the kolab
bug tracker from jurgen: kolab/issue2898. He has the exact problem.
Also, in an old issue a similiar effect is dicussed:
https://www.intevation.de/roundup/kolab/issue943 In our case the
secondary scanner fails as well. Thus, the mail is passed in to
quaratine and blocks all mail delivery.

In conclusion, does anybody have a stable running kolab server 2.2
release version? Just wondering because it wouldn't even start on a
sparkling fresh debian etch installation -unlike the rc2 version.

Best regards,
Saim

Dipl.-Ing. Saim Kim
Lehrstuhl fuer Medizinische Informationstechnik
Helmholtz-Institut fuer Biomedizinische Technik
RWTH Aachen
Pauwelsstr. 20, D-52074 Aachen
---
Web:   http://www.medit.hia.rwth-aachen.de/