Kolab vs Scalix

Michael Pasdziernik michael at pasdziernik.net
Wed Jul 16 10:23:25 CEST 2008

Hello Liutauras,

we used scalix some time before we migrated to kolab. Scalix is very useful
and the outlook connector works good. The base of scalix is HP OpenMail
which is a really stable and mature platform. As a long time linux
administrator I prefer kolab because of its well know server components,
scalix always was a bit like a black box to me.

Our main reason for the migration was that the webclient is very buggy and
slow. It is based on java/tomcat and has serious performance issues, even
with five concurrent users on a dedicated server (2,8 GHz P4, 2 GB RAM). They
worked on the problem but never managed to solve our issues (we only used
forum support).
The user experience regarding scalix webmail was very bad. It has to much
Ajax.The user sees something that looks like a desktop client but acts slow
like a webclient. So webclient did never receive any acceptance by our users.
Horde is much better in that way.
Another annoyance was that the regular updates do not only fix bugs and
security issues but also introduced new features with new bugs.
I think their QA for the community version is not so good, I do not know if
paid versions are more stable.

The only problem with kolab in my opinion is the missing windows client for
power users, that means users with thousands of messages and several
GBytes mailbox size.
Konsec does not allow more then 3GB of mailbox-size, Toltec
has some issus with synchronisation on big mailboxes.
Currently I am evaluating the new bynari insight connector and this looks very
promising.

What I like about kolab is the growing choice of clients. If kontact for Win
an synckolab are stable you can choose between kontact, outlook, thunderbird,
horde and syncml-clients.

Regards
Michael