Problems with enterprise Kontact and LDAP lookup

Thomas Ribbrock ribbrock at brightsight.com
Mon Jan 21 14:13:07 CET 2008

Hi all,

I'm currently experimenting with the "enterprise" Kontact client (744693 right
now, on Kubuntu 7.10). I've used the kolabwizard to set up all accounts, but
I'm still having problems with LDAP lookups. Whenever I try to do so
in "Contacts", I get:

LDAP server returned the error: Invalid DN syntax
Additional info: invalid DN
The LDAP URL was: ldap://SERVER:389

When I look at "Settings -> Configure Address Book -> LDAP Lookup", I
have "Security" to "No" and "Authentication" to "Simple" (I cannot get any
SSL/TLS to work *at all* - I'm getting "certificate errors"). "User" has the
correct user, "Bind DN" and "Realm" are empty and greyed out, I leave the
password empty (and supply it on demand) and "Host" is set to the correct
server. "Port" is 389 as expected, "LDAP version" = "3", Size and time limit
are default and the DN is set to "dc=DOM,dc=AIN" when I do "Query Server".
As far as I can see these settings are the same as for the proko2 (2.1.12)
client I use with the same server.

I have no idea why this doesn't work - any suggestion welcome... :-}

Cheerio,

Thomas