Kolab Server 2.2.1 Beta 1

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Sun Dec 14 16:53:06 CET 2008

Quoting Albrecht Dreß <albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com>:

> Am 12.12.08 20:18 schrieb(en) Thomas Arendsen Hein:
>> I just uploaded Kolab Server 2.2.1-beta1 which contains a new
>> version of the web client (Horde), restructured packages and many
>> important fixes to the last release.

Hi Albrecht,

> Cool - I look forward to try it (and hopefully it resolves all the
> issues I have with 2.2.0 ;-)
>
> ------quoted attachment "1st.README"-----
> [snip]
>> 6. Before starting the LDAP server the database must be restored from
>> the ldif (with Horde preferences filtered out, since these are now
>> stored in files):
>
> Is there a tool to migrate the Horde prefs from LDAP to the files?  I
> really dislike the idea to do that manually for ~35 users (in
> particular I convinced them to use Horde to manage their mail filters,
> and they are probably going to *kill* me if I tell them they have to do
> the same work again).  Is there any documentation around about the file
> structure of the new prefs, and where/how they are stored?  I would be
> willing to contribute such a tool if it doesn't exist yet.

Would be great!

It should actually not be too hard to write a tool if you use the
standard "Prefs" module from Horde
(http://cvs.horde.org/framework/Prefs/). You will need to initiate it
once with the standard "kolab" driver backend, read and serialize the
prefernces of each user and pipe them back into the preferences
system, this time using the "file" driver.

> This is also related to extension I reported in issue #3035, btw, which
> seems not to be part of this release.  Do you think it will be part of
> 2.2.1 final?  Otherwise, I will of course try to upgrade the patch
> myself.

As I mentioned in that issue I cannot use the patch as you provided it
at the moment. It is a good idea in general but for structural reasons
such a functionality belongs into the Kolab_Server package.
Specifically into
http://cvs.horde.org/framework/Kolab_Server/lib/Horde/Kolab/Session.php.

Your initHorde() function should be added in the initial session setup
(function Horde_Kolab_Session()). And it needs to use the standard
preferences setup in order to inject the configurations into the
preferences system. You hardcoded the injection into LDAP. If you
place it into the Session manager and just use the general Preferences
interface you will be able to initiate the Preference whatever backend
driver is being used ("ldap", "file", or "kolab_imap").

I'm writing this so that if you invest the effort in updating it it
could be really added directly.

> ------quoted attachment "release-notes.txt"------
> If I may "nag" about a missing patch in the release notes - Horde's
> #3050 (and the apparently related #3236) are still open, and they are
> *blockers* for me, though easy to fix IMHO...

Both should be fixed in the newer release. I probably should have
marked them as such in the release-notes.txt when I set both issues to
"testing". I missed that because I did not need to do anything for
them. They have been fixed in the upstream release anyway so all they
need are some testing. I'm pretty certain Thomas will add them to the
release-notes.txt ones they have been checked and move to state
"resolved".

Cheers,

Gunnar