Samba integration / adding more objectClasses

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com
Thu Aug 21 08:52:54 CEST 2008

Dear Christian:

Am 20.08.2008 19:54:31 schrieb(en) Christian Tardif:
> It seems to me to be a long standing problem. I don't think the SID
> has something to do with it. Oh! By the way, the standard procedure
> in assigning the SID (in fact, the user part), is taking this formula:
>
>     $SID = ($uid * 2) + 1000;
>
> This is what other tools do (dunno why, but in a goal of
> standardization...)

I *think* I sorted out this problem, at least it now works with
w2k-sp4.  Still have to test XP and Vista.  Wasn't the SID assignment
(I believe this formula is used to always have even user and odd group
id's, so they cannot interfere.  Not sure, though), but a bad setting
of smb.conf attributes.

> Now, regarding your patch. Nice work.

Thanks :-)

> I did a little change, in order for everyone who'll use this new
> setup to find it easier to implement. I added a file
> (/kolab/var/kolab/php/admin/includes/samba.php) which holds some
> constants that have to be tweeked for every installation (mkntpwd
> location, PDC name, Base SID value,...). This samba.php file has to
> be put in proper place, since user.php will call it.

Hey, *that's* a cool idea!  I also have some more ideas how the process
could be improved, like automatically adding the new account to more
groups.

Due to lack of time, I couldn't write a new howto yet (although I
already started).  Hopefully I can make a first draft (definitely
without the SELinux stuff yet) available this weekend.

Cheers,
Albrecht.