Master/Slave functionality?

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 15:06:25 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Del <delonly at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your help Alain, it is highly appreciated. I am afraid I have
> many more questions...
>
>> - Slaves and master are all identical except the ldap is running on
>> the master. I dont thing if some ldap replication are done between
>> slaves and master.
>
> So what exactly happens if the master node goes down?

I dont know about any possible ldap replication system.
Install a master and a slave a look for the slave configuration!
If the ldap is unreachable, postfix should not accept any email,
and cyrus imap will not be able to authenticate any user !

> Will no users be
> able to access their accounts from a slave? How about incoming mail,
> will a slave with an mx record pointing to it be able to receive
> incoming mail if the master is down?
>
> What about if a slave hosting an account is down, will another node
> receiving the mail accept it on behalf of the hosting node? If so, will
> it be redirected once the hosting node is up and running again?

If the mail is on one of the node, the will should wait until the
slave come ready.

>> - You have to choose which node will host any new mailboxes you will create.
>> - Any node can receive email for any mailbox and redirect it to the
>> "hosting" node
>> - Users have to use the good node to connect using imap or pop3, I
>> thing Horde is able to redirect query to the good node.
>
> What does good node mean?

The node that host the user's mailbox.

> Do you mean any node that is up and running,
> contrary to the hosting node being down? If so, I assume that it does
> not apply to the master node being down (due to lack of user authentication)?
>
> Cheers,
> Del

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com