TLS connection on port 465 (smtps)

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Aug 15 06:16:26 CEST 2008

Quoting Christian Tardif <christian.tardif at servinfo.ca>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to establish a connection from a roaming client to my mail
> server over tls on port 465 (smtps). Whlie TLS on regular port 25 runs
> good, I can't use it in production environment because of many ISP's
> outbound port restrictions (port 25, for one). So, I'm trying to make it
> run on smtps port. I can see that the 465 port is opened on the server,
> I can connect to it, but I can't use it (if I try to telnet on this
> port, it answers, but seem to hang forever (I don't get the Postfix
> prompt (or any kind of prompt, or garbage...).

Port 465 means SSL-encrypted SMTP. Connecting to an SSL encrypted port
via telnet will hardly give you plain text :) So the telnet behavior
is to expected. Try connecting via the OpenSSL tools instead.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> Did someone happen to make this work?  Where can I start by looking at?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Christian Tardif

Tel.   : +49 700 6245 0000                         Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 721 1513 52322                        D-20146 Hamburg