Distributed setup

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Aug 5 10:36:36 CEST 2008

Albrecht Dreß <albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to this list, so please excuse me if my questions are really dumb...
>
> I would like to install Kolab 2.2 on /two/ Ubuntu Hardy machines in
> a "distributed" way: box #1 shall have the Cyrus, Postfix and Apache
> related stuff installed, and box #2 shall get all the rest.  Apart
> for a more equally distributed load, the services on #1 shall be
> visible to the outside world.  Obviously, this box must be treated
> with more care.  Are there any descriptions how to install such a
> scenario?

Not at the moment as far as I know.

I wouldn't place LDAP on #2 if you have postfix and cyrus on #2. The
whole mail system needs to access LDAP rather frequently for user
checks. That will be significantly faster if LDAP is on #1.

> Related to this, it would be great if I could use the pre-built
> Apache/Horde, Postfix and Cyrus packages on #1.  The advantage is
> that (1) I can rely on the Ubuntu package management for security
> updates and (2) it will probably be easier to write proper SELinux
> policies (or do policies already exist?).  Any opinion about this?

As Alain mentioned I also don't think this will be necessary. Using
non-OpenPKG variants still means that you have to invest a lot of
knowledge yourself in order to get your system to work.

> Connected to the distributed install question above, maybe I can do
> a "full" install on #2, install the "stock" Ubuntu packages on #1,
> and then just copy the configs and tweak a few connection settings?
> Or is this a too simplified approach?

You mentioned in your other mail that you don't need the spam/virus
checking capabilities. In this case I'd not recommend a distributed
setup anyhow. The amavis/clamav/spamassassin part is the first part
one would separate from the rest if you want a distributed setup. If
you don't need it you can simply disable it. If your machine #1 has
enough power for the rest of the applications I'd suggest to start
with a single machine first.

Cheers,

Gunnar