authenticated smtp

Jan Vergeer j_vergeer at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 1 08:35:24 CEST 2008

Hello,

I am using kolab server 2.2 RC1 and have a problem configuring authenticated smtp.
I want my email clients (eg outlook 2003) on the internet to be able to send and receive email using the kolab server.
Receiving mail works, but to for sending mails the client have to authenticate before they can relay mail through the kolab server (otherwise you get a relay access denied message). I have configured the email clients to authenticate before sending mail using smtp.

The main.cf file of the kolab server contains the line:
smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes
When running telnet to port 25 of the mail server and starting with ehlo <domain>, I get the following response:
250-<domain>250-PIPELINING250-SIZE 20971520250-ETRN250-STARTTLS250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES250-8BITMIME250 DSN

For smtp authentication to work, there should also be a "250 AUTH ....".
And what I read on the internet that when you add the "smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes" line to the main.cf file, the posfx daemon should display the AUTH header. Because this AUTH header is not shown, the email client does not authenticate and sending mail does not work.

Can someone help me to get this to work? Are there other things that have to be enabled to get sasl to work?
Thanks in advance

Greetings,
Jan Vergeer