Installation of a kolab-Server

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Sep 18 18:06:51 CEST 2007

marx-design - Bernhard Marx <b.marx at marx-design.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> i heard about Kolab via horde. Actually I have a running
> horde-installation on my server.
> The server is used for several task. Mainly it's used to provide
> Webpages with confixx.
>
> Now i read about the various possiblites of kolab. Esp. the different
> clients (e.g. horde and Thunderbird). So I thought i could to an
> installation to test kolab before introducing it.
> But as more I read now about the installation I have the feeling the
> kolab replaces ALL neccessary item with its own. (postfix,
> spamassassin, cyrus, etc.) Is this the way? Will an install of kolab
> "destroy" my current config of postfix, apache, etc.

As Alain already mentioned Kolab will not destroy your old
configuration. Kolab installs a separate Linux distribution (OpenPKG)
within the /kolab directory. If the machine you use for installing
Kolab ran postfix, imapd and/or apache you will be required to turn
these services off in favour of the installation within /kolab.

You can of course port your specific customizations to the postfix and
cyrus installations within the /kolab environment.

You might ask why you would wish to have a distribution inside a
distribution rather than installing the server within the system as
you are used to. The OpenPKG solution was used in order to allow a
high amount of control over the settings within the /kolab
environment. As you probably already know from your experience with
postfix and cyrus the configuration of a mail system is a very complex
endeavour and it is easy to break things. So the "distribution in a
distribution" approach helps us to guarantee that the server really
works once people installed it.

There are of course people unhappy with using the system management
tools provided by OpenPKG and forked the basic Kolab2/OpenPKG into
Kolab2/SUSE or Kolab2/Gentoo (I'm the maintainer of that one). These
variants of the Kolab server integrate directly in the corresponding
distribution but they still have have the drawback of being less
reliable than the main Kolab distribution.

Cheers,

Gunnar

Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                           Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20146 Hamburg