Ubuntu 7.10, compile issues

Alan Murrell lists at murrell.ca
Sun Oct 28 10:51:56 CET 2007

I downloaded the source for kolab-2.2-beta2, and ran the installation command.
It threw up the following error:

----------
configure: loading cache ./config.cache
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for gcc... /usr/bin/gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name...
See `config.log' for more details.
+ /usr/bin/make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
+ exit 2
+ exit 2
./openpkg.boot:ERROR: script returned non-null value

I have tried GCC versions 4.2, 3.3, and 2.95 (from the Ubuntu repository).  Is
there a specific version of GCC required to compile OpenPKG?  I noticed that
the GCC version in the Kolab sources downloaded is version 4.0; will that
work?

TIA for your help.

-Alan Murrell