Newbie, don't know how to upgrade

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 14:29:46 CET 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 12:03 PM, José Carlos Mayor Holguin
<jcmayor at caritasvalladolid.es> wrote:

>   Hi, i'm new with kolab so sorry if this is solved in other place but
> i can't find it.
>
>   Since a week i've to administer a kolab server, this server is having
> serious
> hardware problems so the old admin installed centos 4.3 and kolab 2.1 in a
> completely different machine, now i've to move the mails and accounts (this
> could be done by hand as there are less than 50).
>   My first handicap is that i've no idea of what kolab's version is
> running the old
> server, in the web gui it shows kolab2 but the rpm kolabd package is
> 1.9.4 with

Probably  a 2.0.x.
# openpkg rpm -qi kolabd
will give you the exact version of this package, then search for this
version on the
kolab's ftp mirror.

When you are connected to the mirror, search for file UPGRADING.20-21
on 2.1.x directory
and also 1st.README in 2.0.${LAST}  dir.
The last one will tell you what to do to upgrade to 2.0.4 and the
first one will be you Bible for some hours.
Also read keep an eye on the kolab's wiki about how to do backup.

I suggest you to combine a backup restore procedure from server to
server, with a data migration in between.
This is possible if the new one will take the name of the old one.
You dont need to stop the OLD one, when your are testing your
migration procedure!
Stop it before to do the last rsync before to switch !

- complete the bootstrap procedure on the new one, verify you can
login, create users ... (use the  good hostname, you cannot rename it
later)
- stop the new one
-  rsync your imap spool to the new one rsync -avz /kolab/var/imapd/
root at new:/kolab/var/imapd/
- copy the ssl certificate
- apply the upgrade procedure
- start the new one, test it
- when fine stop both kolab server do a last rsync, search vor mail in
the SMTP queue ( find  /kolab/var/postfix/ )
  if so copy them, switch the ip address, update /etc/hosts, start the new one.
Et voila!

> OpenPKG 2.4.3??
>   Second is that i don't know if i should upgrade this machine (if the
> hardware let
> me do it) and then rsync the kolab directory to the new machine or what
> to do.
>   I just want some guide to do it, i'm not looking for the exact
> solution or a
> step-by-step. Ah, we can't contact with the old admin and he didn't
> wrote any
> documentation....
>
>   Thanks in advance and sorry for my english...
>

> --
>  José Carlos Mayor Holguin       mailto:jcmayor at caritasvalladolid.es
>
>  CARITAS DIOCESANA DE VALLADOLID
>  Dept. Informática, Voz y Datos.
>  C/Santuario, 24b ( 47002 - VALLADOLID )
>  Tlfs.: 983 20 23 01 - 983 39 79 30           Fax: 983 39 67 26
>  Móvil: 654 39 08 37

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you