Horde Login Problems

Matthew Smart m.d.smart at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 16:12:38 CET 2007

Hello Everyone,

I have a problem with horde. I had it working just fine, and then it
all stopped. I've tried a lot of different things and inspected all
the logs. So, to make things clean and to address just this problem I
did I completely fresh install of kolab following this method:
http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Kolab2_Installation_-_Beta_Sources
except with the -F and -H options to include horde as specified in the
horde howto on the wiki. Now I have a fresh bootstrapped installation,
created one account and tried to log in. Horde recognizes bad
usernames and passwords, but on a good login, it sits there and waits
for my server for about 3 minutes, then eventually just returns me to
the login screen.

horde.log says this (and only this, since it is a fresh install):

Nov 15 10:00:04 HORDE [notice] [horde] Login success for
[72.158.142.162] to Horde [on line 120 of
"/kolab/var/kolab/www/horde/login.php"]

php.log says this:

[15-Nov-2007 10:00:04] PHP Warning:  ldap_bind() [<a
href='function.ldap-bind'>function.ldap-bind</a>]: Unable to bind to
server: Can't contact LDAP server in
/kolab/lib/php/Horde/Kolab/LDAP.php on line 89
[15-Nov-2007 10:00:04] PHP Notice:  Unknown: SECURITY PROBLEM:
insecure server advertised AUTH=PLAIN (errflg=1) in Unknown on line 0

I don't know why that would be because the web interface lets me log
in, and my outlook client can log in.

apache-error.log has nothing in it.

I don't know why it can't bind to the php server. the nobody username
and password haven't been changed. I let the bootstrap process set
them up for me.

If someone could give me any help that would be very appreciated. Thankyou,

Matt Smart