Dear friends

rajnish kumar kumarrajnishgupta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 15:45:49 CET 2007

I have some confusion about postfix performance, if I am an ISP and
with 20,000 user's with postfix, Is postfix  is capable to do this
pretty things. Has any one has experiance to working with postfix in
heavy load

with redgs
rajnish

we have some discussion with Mr Alain Spineux

me: should we ask some ?
 Sent at 7:48 PM on Tuesday
 Alain: some what ?
 me: thnx
regarding postfix
i want to established a MTA with 20000 user's shoud i go with postfix
 Alain: What else ? [nose smile]
 me: qmail
 Sent at 7:52 PM on Tuesday
 Alain: Qmail was probably a good peace of sofware in 2000 and before.
But it's no more developped since (I things)
 Sent at 7:54 PM on Tuesday
 Alain: postfix is actively maintained by Wietse and actively
supported on the mailing list ! Very actively supported !
Postfix is also a good piece of software.
 me: that's good, would you think that postfix is capable to bear load
of 20000 usre's with heavy load
 Sent at 7:57 PM on Tuesday
 Alain: Yes ! (But I dont have experience with so much users).
 Sent at 7:59 PM on Tuesday
 Alain: You will probably use other component "weaker" than postfix,
AV, imap server ... Or is it a SMTP relay only ?
 me: yes i am using kolab2 right now but only with 1500 usre's but it's too slow
 Sent at 8:01 PM on Tuesday
 Alain: But postfix is not the bottleneck, AV and SPAM checking are
very CPU and IO consuming ! Then cyrus, if using IMAP is probably
using more load than postfix !
 Sent at 8:04 PM on Tuesday
 Alain: Also kolabd can use some CPU when checking all LDAP entry
(depending the kolab2, 2.0 or 2.1 ) also  lot of PHP script are used
by postfix, in kolabfilter, policies, ...
 me: AS per i know kolab is not working in distributed enviroment if
it works then still mails not send locally means directly one server
to another. because kolab does't have fearure of mailHost
or you are right
yes you are right
 Sent at 8:08 PM on Tuesday
 me: if you don't mind could i send this query in <kolab-users at kolab.org>,
 Sent at 8:10 PM on Tuesday
 Alain: Kolab dont need distributed features in itself, all kolab
component can be distributed on different server : postfix, cyrus,
ldap, amavis can all be on a different server. You can have multiple
instances of each of them . Also ldap and cyrus have some replication
feature to help to distribute the load on multiple server !(but
leaving a little more the kolab integration)
Yes publish the all discussion