Sieve over unsecure networks

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Nov 2 10:51:02 CET 2007

On Friday 02 November 2007 08:32, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> > Are sieve connections encrypted by TLS/SSL?
>
> The server supports TLS:

I can confirm this.

> So it depends on the client to implement this but I think Kontact uses
> TLS.

I once did a test sniffing the network with one Kontact version
and it did use TLS in this test. If you want to be sure, you should
repeat this test with the version you plan to use.

sieveshell on the other hand does _not_ use TLS as far as I know.
The situation could be better. Best would be to modify Cyrus' sieveshell
and timsieved to only accept TLS or SSL connections.

> > Is the same authentication mechanism used as for the imap connection?

AFAIK yes.

> > If it is not secure:

It is but I am answering your questions anyway.

> > Is sieve needed for the main groupware functionality or
> > just for filters that the user can define?

The webadmin interface can understand set three special sievescripts:
vacation, forwarding, and email delivery.
Email delivery is very useful if you have a group account and
several Outlook client have read access and should see the incoming
emails immedeately. Invitations will not be "delivered".
It is only designed for this special use case.

> > Does Toltec use sieve also?

Both client do not use it directly. Users with Toltec
can log into the webadmin and set one of the three mentioned scripts.

Bernhard