annoying Kolab things

André Karlsson andre at solutrix.se
Tue Mar 20 20:56:07 CET 2007

It is alway nice to hear constructive feedback, even if i dont agree with you
at all (mabye the documentation needs some work).

The developers of Kolab is accually very dedicated to answer all questions in
the list and they give both kolab and nonkolab related answer, they have all
my blessings

Keep up the good work

Best regards André

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 16:52, Marco wrote:
> Well.... It's the umpteen time I try to deal with Groupware on Linux. The
> Experience goes from "Ok, give it a try..." to "Oh my god....".
> It's the 3th time I give Kolab it's try and it's the 3th time I'm getting
> annoyed and going to give up!
Since i've been working professional with windows NT/2000/2003 for over 10
years it would be fair to say that installing exchange (as an example) is a
walk in the park, but that is a truth with a great deal of modification.

When you stopped pressing "OK and you have your setup then what. This scares
me the most that people ( probably not you Marco :) ) is satisfied with a
standard setup but then dont have a clue what happens when something goes
wrong and something allways will go wrong and with exchange things usually
goes really wrong when it does. This is not the time you want be in a "Oh my
God" stituiation. I prefer it before the setup is up and running.

But yes kolab requires some more tweaks, and if you feel unpleasant using
kolab or any other software for that matter you simply shouldn't cause it may
lead to major disaster in the business world anyway :D

Have you tried openXchange? (stabel but a ¤¤"¤£$@ to setup)

Since i get the feeling you use windows cause of oulook

> But before I do this I want to let you know what I think:
>

> - Mailinglist
> 	As I think, today Mailinglists are obsolete because of these reasons:
> 	1. 	Today the biggest part of all email traffic is spam. Therefor many
> ISP's have installed own Spamfilters. Because of this you can't tell if a
> mail sent to a mailing list will arrive to every member.
ISP having Spam filters that filters this mailbox prob have done something
really wrong in their setup

> 	2.	Mailinglists are bad references. I know it is possible to brows the
> 		Mailinglist archive on your page, but hey..... Month by month by hand
> ?!!! This means Users have to ask the same question again and again 'cause
> nobody wants to search in the archives.

Well I dont know for the rest but microsoft "wiki" and technet is not much
better even with their huge resources (money/emplyees)

> 	3.	Mail programs are adding characters to the beginning of every line
> 		when you reply to an email. This makes it impossible to read a whole
> 		conversation thread	if it there where many participators.

The reason for the bracks is accually to make it easier to view new comments
in messages with multiple questions at issue. This can be configured in most
MUA even outlook

> 	In my opinion a web forum would be a much bether solution.
>
> - Documentation
> 	I think it would be much easier to setup and work with Kolab if there
> would be one document which explains everything. From the Basic setup of
> the Server and the Clients 'til the "special features" like group folders
> and stuff....
Couldn't agree more :D, and if the Kolab team needs a hand here im all yours.

> 	At this point let me highlight that (at least in my experience) there is a
> 	mistake in the Documentation. The Outlook 2003 Document says I should
> 	create a new POP3 account. As I see, this is wrong. Since if I do so I
> can't select this account in the Toltec connector....
>
> 	Another point is the order. The Outlook 2003 Document First explains the
> 	creation of the new email account and then things like Free/Busy,
> Delegation working in groups and so on.... The Configuration of the Toltec
> connector is explained at the end of the section....
>
> 	I would really like to participate and write a better Documentation but to
> do this, I need to look through the whole stuff. And at the moment I'm
> giving up the 3th time to configuring Kolab.
>
> I'm fearing the day on which I have to Migrate my server hardware and
> therefor caring the data from the old server to the new one...... Nightmare
There i dont agree at all since moving all data is walk in the park
(almost :D) with full backup/restore