SOLVED (partialy) Re: distribution lists - service unavailable. Command output: Delivery to some recipients failed, code 550

Liutauras Adomaitis liutauras at infosaitas.lt
Mon Jul 9 17:58:59 CEST 2007

On Thursday 28 June 2007 12:16:39 Liutauras Adomaitis wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> i'm having problem with distribution lists implementation on Kolab:
>
> sending mail to any DL configured with Kolab web interface fails. Sender
> gets one message back with error saying "email at domain.com: service
> unavailable. Command output: Delivery to some recipients failed, code 550"
> for all the emails in DL. I have googled a lot about this. But nothing
> works.
> The main thread
> http://www.kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-devel/2006-January/004864.html
> discusses pretty much the same problem. But the solutions doesn't work for
> me.
>
> From the logs I can see, that postfix smtpd process handles the DL ok, it
> queries ldap for DL emails and gets all the members of DL. Then it tries to
> submit to cyrus lmtpd - and lmpd answers - user does not exists.
>
> Jun 28 11:48:34 penktas postfix/qmgr[24886]: 9A6329AC01: removed
> Jun 28 11:48:34 penktas cyrus-master[5668]: about to
> exec /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/lmtpd
> Jun 28 11:48:34 penktas lmtp[5668]: executed
> Jun 28 11:48:34 penktas lmtp[5668]: accepted connection
> Jun 28 11:48:34 penktas lmtp[5668]: connection from penktas.domain.com
> [127.0.0.1] preauth'd as postman
> Jun 28 11:48:34 penktas lmtp[5668]: verify_user(domain.com!user.allstaff)
> failed: Mailbox does not exist
>
> I haven't found any info about how /etc/imapd.group file is used, but this
> file contains group allstaff
> llstaff at infosaitas.lt:*:60006:user@ .....
> Ldap also has cn=allstaff.
>
> It seems to me, that either postfix is calling lmtpd with wrong user name
> (it should use DL members instead of DL email allstaff) or lmtpd doesn't
> know how to handle group/DL username.
>
> I'm not an expert in postfix or cyrus, so any help and hints were to dig
> would be nice.

after some digging (good to make couple of days time out) I found
http://readlist.com/lists/postfix.org/postfix-users/4/23137.html
added
kolabmailboxfilter_destination_recipient_limit = 1 and restarted postfix

Now it seems that DL members are getting emails, but sender still gets
undeliverable report saying:
<allstaff@>: service unavailable. Command output: Failed to set
    recipient: Invalid response code received from server, code 550

But this time only the DL address is included. There is nothing about DL
members, and this is ok, since they get a mail.

Will be digging more on this issue.

Liutauras