Kolab & SyncML status

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Thu Dec 13 17:14:01 CET 2007

Hi,

I'm looking to replace an ageing OX installation by a new groupware product,
mainly because we have qutie a few problems with SyncML devices and bugs
related to repeating calendar events.  Also, the user interface has some
quirks that are not very userfriendly, and the future development of OX is
not clear to us.

So maybe Kolab + Horde might be a viable contender - perhaps some people
want to voice an opinion here?

The main question is how reliable is SyncML support (we'd need syncml on the
server side, as we'll mostly be using the web frontend and people are used
to sync via GPRS), the SyncML devices mainly are some Treo 680 and some
Nokia E61.  I found some not very recent mailing list postings indicating
that it might still be shaky, but I haven't followed recent development.

(Without wanting to start a my-dick-is-bigger flamewar: I have looked at
eGroupWare's web frontend and have quite liked it, but with the recent
disagreements between the egw main developers that may lead to a fork of
the project, I'm not sure if this would be a good decision.  So now I'm
looking for other projects.  If people have opinions on other groupware
products, too, I'm happy to receive them, probably better off list,
though.)

cheers
-- vbi

--