Kontact to Kolab Connection through http/https/ftp/ssh-proxy

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 17:02:45 CEST 2007

Hi

You can use ssh to make multiple port forwarding at once.

if you try this command from your workstation

# ssh  -L 2025:127.0.0.1:25 -L 2143:127.0.0.1:143 you at your_kolab_server
sleep 300

then from another terminal you try

# telnet localhost 2025

you will see the postfix greeting message of your kolab server, or the imap
greeting if you try port 2143.

If you are root on your workstation and no SMTP nor IMAP service are running
, you can reuse port 25 or 143 like this

# ssh  -L 25:127.0.0.1:25 -L 143:127.0.0.1:143 you at your_kolab_server sleep
300

and just redirect your kolab client to your own workstation

Of course kolab require more port than SMTP or IMAP, you can add more -L
options to forward them all.

Here I run a sleep 300 on the kolab server, this mean the connection
forwarding will wait for 300sec
or until all forwarding connection are done. This means you have 300sec to
open your first connection
and then the forwarding will be active until you close your client (if the
client maintained a open connection through
one of the forwading connection during  all this time, probably imap clients
do that)

Regards

On 8/22/07, Johannes Graumann <johannes_graumann at web.de> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Is there a way to connect to the full range of kolab-services by using
> kontact through a proxy only letting through http, https, ssh and ftp?
>
> Thanks for any hints how to tackle this.
>
> Joh

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you