Kolab 2.0.4 upgrade to 2.1 fails due to DBERROR

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Aug 7 13:15:33 CEST 2007

Divan Santana <divan.santana at gmail.com> writes:

> On Monday 06 August 2007 17:40:43 ITSEF Admin wrote:
>> On Monday 6 August 2007 16:53, Divan Santana wrote:
>> > I have tried to do an upgrade from Kolab 2.0.4 upgrade to 2.1 with the
>> > normal openpkg installation.
>> > I am running Kubuntu 6.10 .
>> >
>> > 2.0.4 works perfectly. I upgraded successfully and 2.1 looked fine.
>> >
>> > However after a long while I start getting these very critical errors
>> > in /kolab/var/imapd/log/pop3d.log which makes pop/imap useless.
>> >
>> > Aug 06 08:00:32 tmgmen-bbb <warning> pop3[17906]: DBERROR db4: PANIC:
>> > fatal region error detected; run recovery
>> > Aug 06 08:00:32 tmgmen-bbb <critical> pop3[17906]: DBERROR: critical
>> > database situation
>>
>> Just a guess, but UPGRADING.20-21 states:
>>
>> <quote>
>> The default database format for /kolab/var/imapd/annotations.db and
>> /kolab/var/imapd/mailboxes.db has changed from skiplist to berkeley db.
>> </quote>
>>
>> Have you followed the steps described after this paragraph to either
>> convert your db or instruct Cyrus to use the old format?
>>
>> Cheerio,
>>
>> Thomas

> Yes I did follow those steps. Didn't convert it to berkeley and definately did
> just like those steps but still has this major problem?
>
> I'm sure someone else must have seen this but can't find anything on the wiki
> etc.

I did in fact see this once on a virtual Gentoo server. Given the
circumstances in that case we chose to reinstall the server and so I
did not analyze the problem in depth. I remember that I tried
modifying the db parameters since I read somewhere on the web that
this might be connected to memory issues. But it did not help.

If this occurs on OpenPKG servers too we should probably open a bug
about this and debug it in detail.

Cheers,

Gunnar