Cyrus-IMAP Server Dead -- Any suggestions???

Webb, Paul pwebb at webbenabled.com
Fri Apr 13 14:28:53 CEST 2007

All,

Just wanted to post an update so this thread didn't just "die" and
perhaps someone in the future can take advantage of the suggestions.
It's really a good news/bad news situation, but there appears to be a
(small) solution in sight.

The bad news is that I never did figure out what caused Cyrus-IMAP to
dump with a Segmentation Fault error. I tried all sorts of things,
including renaming some of the imap folders in /kolab/var/imap/spool
from [folder_name] to [folder_name].old, thinking that perhaps if the
problem was with a corrupt database file or a corrupt IMAP mailbox, I
would find it by eliminating the folder from imapd's 'sight'. After
having no luck there, I came to the conclusion that I could spend months
looking for this problem. Without more information in log files
regarding the cause of the problem (other than "segmentation fault"),
I'm sort of "shooting blind" trying to find the cause. Thus I came to
the conclusion that I was going to have to either rebuild my kolab
installation or scrap the existing installation and start fresh.

Then I remembered something. This is where the good news comes in.

The good news is that when I finished building the kolab server the last
time (after 12 hours of compilation), I didn't look forward to having to
do so again. So before I started the kolab services or running my
bootstrap command, I tarred the entire directory structure up, gzipped
it, and then saved it on another server. Once I remembered doing this (I
was half-asleep when I tarred that folder. It was 2 AM!), it was a
simple matter of renaming my existing kolab folder to kolab.old and then
un-tarring the backup file. After checking to make sure the right owner
was assigned to the kolab folder (it was), I ran my bootstrap command
and fired the server up. Voila! An imap service was back up and running!

So, I've reconfigured the server settings, recreated the user accounts,
assigned default users to the default domains, and I'm now importing
IMAP mailbox from the exchange server... one mailbox at a time this time!

Moral of the story: Back up your kolab server. Then back it up again a
few hours later. And again a few hours after that. Because backups
prevent baldness. :-)

Again, thanks to everyone for all your help. You all made great
suggestions, and I'm sort of sorry that we didn't find the solution. Not
because I enjoyed pulling my hair out, mind you, but because I wanted to
see a solution posted in the forums for the next guy that goes down this
path. :-)

Thanks to all!
--
Paul Webb